Government of India launches ‘ROSHNI’ program to skill and place 50,000 youth in left-wing extremism (LWE) affected districts in New Delhi, June 7, 2013.
The Minister for Rural Development, Shri Jairam Ramesh, today launched a new skill development scheme called “Roshni” for rural youth from 24 most critical left-wing extremism (LWE) affected districts (see Annexure I). This initiative aims at skilling and placement of fifty thousand youth from these districts.
Key Features of Roshni
- It will cover 50,000 youth from 24 most critical left-wing extremist affected districts in three years.
- Beneficiaries aged between 18-35 years with requisite aptitude depending upon the trade or job requirements are to be selected as per the Participatory Identification of Poor (PIP).
- At least 50% of the candidates covered under the scheme shall be women. Special efforts will be made to proactively cover Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) on a priority basis.
- Training will be imparted through public- private and public-public partnerships. Educational institutions, corporate entities, entities that train and place for improved public service delivery, commercial and not for profit training providers will be roped in for implementing this scheme.
- Four training models with duration ranging from 3 months to 1 year shall be taken up to meet the diverse needs of youth depending on their entry level qualifications. Placement-linked, market driven fully residential skill training will be provided.
- The projects shall be funded jointly by the central and state governments in the ratio of 75:25.
- National level agencies shall be designated to act as monitoring and coordinating agencies for Roshni.
LIST OF 24 CRITICAL LEFT-WING EXTREMIST AFFECTED DISTRICTS
|24||West Bengal||Midnapore West|